The mission of NANAS to “facilitate sustainable, international and multi-disciplinary collaboration among all researchers interested in the study of cultural aging.” As such, we draw from the field of age studies, the humanities and interpretive social sciences.
Our guiding principles are:
- Promote high quality scholarship related to cultural aging through our newsletter, website and journal.
- Raise awareness of binary concepts and master narratives in cultural discourses, which pit generations against each other, prescribe norms and values, and perpetuate stereotypes about aging and older age.
- Educate colleagues, students and the larger community about the importance of older age as a site of inquiry.
- Advocate for institutional policies that promote respect for older persons.
- Support inclusive language that avoids sexist, racist, ageist and ableist terms considered to be demeaning and offensive to others.